New Background

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Day 2, breakdown 1 and other stories




Scene 2, Act 1:
Women enters dog park with unusually attractive, rare, white boxer. Boxer proceeds to sniff around the dark park, peeing on all his usual spots. Women happily sips grande non-fat latte from Starbucks, soaks up the sunshine, tries to digest the monumental task of CRNA school, and reviews yesterday in her head (see below story). Enter Doberman puppy. Puppy bites Boxer. Boxer enjoys attention and chases puppy. Puppy does not seem to mind. (*IMPORTANT AUTHOR NOTE, Boxer NEVER bit or jumped on puppy and puppy never yelped!) Enter, puppy owner. Puppy owner (in a criticizing voice with bitchy overtones) to woman sipping latte, "Why do you always bring your dog here when he acts like that?" Puzzled, woman sipping latte feels the heat rise to her face, making her tomato-like. Puppy owner gathers puppy in a hurried manner and exits. Boxer runs to labs playing fetch. Lab owner, "I don't want your dog playing with mine if he is aggressive." Woman sipping latte feels tomato face in its full effect and is now getting "small town feeling." Latte woman gathers Boxer. Exit dog park. Woman enters car. Convulsive, messy breakdown.

(The previous day)
Scene 1, Act 1:
Monday morning approaches and so approaches my excitement. It is FINALLY our "absolute deadline" imposed by the bank to come to a complete/final decision regarding our home here. I give the realtor my cell phone number, email address, and complete day schedule so she can call me the MOMENT we get the GREEN LIGHT. Five o'clock....no call...I call the realtor. Voicemail. Leave a detailed message instructing her to call me. Get a return call approximately 1 hour later:

"The bank decided to make their thirty day deadline, thirty BUSINESS days."

Mini-meltdown followed but no tears...yet...small town feeling begins.

Scene 2, Act 1.

Amidst all of our chaos, Aaron and I decide to take a break and enjoy a WNBA game. I give Rugby and good scratch while Olivia rubs up against my leg. This usually means she feels left out so I also give her a pet and we head out the door. (*Author's note-Olivia is our cat). Aaron and I get in the car and begin to head towards down town Phoenix. About two exits into the trip, I smell something out of the ordinary (or as my dad would say, "I got a wiff of jiff!"). I sniff around my clothes (we did start working out again and it's HOT here!). Nothing. I sniff around Aaron. Nothing. The smell passes. Five minutes later, I get another wiff. What the heck? I roll down the window and frantically scan the car when I look down at my leg. Olivia rubbed up against me and sharted on me. We pull of on the first exit so I can stick my whole leg in the sink at Jack-In-The-Box and scrub it. I guess she was mad that she and Rugby have to share such close quarters. Life lesson: just when you think that you have hit rock bottom, you get pooped on. It happens! So don't take yourself so serious because, it is really rather funny.



Current Scene:

1. Lightbulb clicking for CRNA school but am overwhelmed by the volume of information I am supposed to be digesting. Luckily, the CRNA Class of 2011 is made up of the most bright, supportive, and generous people I have ever met. And for a bunch of ICU nurses, not one person comes across as bitchy or competitive (and for anyone who doesn't know what the ICU RN stereotype is, they are not the nicest people!!). Side note, CRNA school currently consists of


  • Journal club-Morgan will soon become a published (!!) author. Will keep you updated with that.
  • Biophysics-who knew "math really ISN'T that hard Barbie!"
  • Anatomy-what is this little insignificant fiber next to this big blob. Name all of these for every body part. (Eek!)
  • Biochemistry-name very amino acid ever and what is does this and that.

p.s. I have a name badge that says Nurse Anesthestist (student) and I have a tee shirt...


2. While my head can now completely rotates around its axis (i.e. "Exorcist"), Aaron and I are still "patiently" waiting for an answer on our house. Although, this week we began looking for other houses and making empty threats towards the realtors. Basically, whatever house we can get into first will be our house but all arrows point to "our" house right now. Everyone that knows me knows patience is not my strong suit so this is a very large lesson in humility. We are going on week three of living in a studio with the dog and the cat...
3. I am married to the most wonderful and supportive man on the face of this planet. People in my class are already having "marital" issues regarding the time CRNA school consumes. Aaron and I are stronger. He quizzes me on my homework and is generally interested in how CRNA school works. On days he is off, I come home (or the hotel rather) to dinner and a back massage. Absence is making my heart grow fonder. And I've been gone a lot.
4. Rugby and I no longer go to the dog park. I hate the dog park. I hate the dog park people. They are just dogs! Dogs jump on each other and chase each other. And I would advise you to seek Psychiatric attention if you worry about your dog's psyche. Rugby's brain is pea sized (he jumped out of the car window in rush hour traffic mind you!). No room for thought processing greater than pooping, eating, chasing the bunnies in the arroyo, and belly rubs. Rugby and I now go to Thunderbird park to hike where we frequently get stopped by people oohing and ahhing over him. The little ham loves it.
5. The most recent deadline for the house is the 22nd. Aaron and I are making pretty substantial (but honestly hollow) threats to get something in writing. You will be the first to know what those results are.
6. Morgan+weekends Aaron works=mega cram time, this is one of those weekends so I better finish planting my face in Biochemistry.

You are now up to full speed!


4 comments:

  1. wow, can't believe you all are still having issues with the house! I would be freaking! only cause it's so much money to stay in a hotel. But you seem to be handling it all well so that's great. Yes people can suck at dog parks, totally agree. Did you take extra chemistry classes before you went to crna school? I am gonna do that in the hope that it makes things a little less murky...HH is same old same old, lotsa new policies coming down the shoot-fun!

    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woman with rare white boxer and grande non fat latte forgot one thing..
    no, not that people can be funky about their dogs..
    Had she purchased a cookie or any treat so sugary it made her teeth vibrate, all would have been fine.
    -the Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle-I did take an extra chemistry. I would recommend taking an organic or biochemistry if you can though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting ready to start more chem including o-chem...may take some physics while i'm waiting to get the finances in order anyway....thanks, i know u are busy!


    michelle

    ReplyDelete