New Background

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hopping on the Soapbox

Dear World,

I realize that with any profession you have the good, bad, and the ugly. Of course I know the same is true for anesthesia but this is my blog and my side of the story...

I was getting ready to induce a patient for anesthesia when a tall, geekey, MDA (MD-Anesthesia), walked over and started to tell me where to put the EKG leads.

#1-I have done more EKGs (12 leads, 5 lead monitoring, 3 lead monitoring) in one month than this man will his entire life. I worked in CVICU for SIX YEARS.
#2-I am not your assistant. While I may be a student...I am an anesthetist too.

WORLD hear me-there is NO difference in the anesthesia you recieve from an MDA or an anesthetist. We are held accountable to the exact same standards of care. If anything, your anesthetist is held to HIGHER standards-we must get better GPAs in school, the admissions process is more rigorous, and we can never fail a class...ever. If this guy fails in med school, he has the oppurtunity to make the class up or slide by with a barely passing grade. Your anesthetists can never fail and must maintain better than a B average to pass...hmm...how does that make you feel? (*Author's note...I don't know this guy's past...I just know his presence stinks)

I wanted to whip him with the cord (or wrap it around his neck) but he has a limp, and I didn't want people to think I picked on the less fortunate. Because I don't...

Yesterday working with this man (whose claim to fame is "CRNAs: can't live with them or without them"...wanker...) reinforced my decision to return to an opt out state...that would be you New Mexico. I refuse to think that this journey (total of 8 years) is going to lead me to any where but independent practice. That is the goal and the idea behind this profession. I am confident in what I do and I love doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment