New Background

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Nostalgia and angst from Arizona



Burque.




I started my adult life there. As soon as the dorm doors closed behind me, I was on my own in a new city. Though, as I made the trek back to Colorado, I was still overwhelmed by a sense of "home" crossing that border. The sky is blue-er in Colorado, I told (tell) myself. Sort of like the grass is greener but a more measurable fact.




However, I have recently had a change of heart. Roasting green chilies in the backyard of our Arizona house (*author's note, I did not write "home" as I still consider our old house my "home"), the smells are foreign. The green chili does not waft in the air the same way and I feel like this is a sad event.




I resisted everything about Albuquerque at first. I talked to my friends about my escape back to Colorado or any where else. Now, I sit in my beautiful Arizona house, with all the amenities in close reach, perfect sunsets and I dream about the day I can hold a Satellite cup and people watch in Nob Hill. I met and married Aaron there, started my career there, met the best of friends, and created a life for myself.




I know you can never go back but a girl can dream. Here's to you Albuquerque.


No comments:

Post a Comment